Quote of the month: "The kind of people I look for to fill top
management spots are the eager beavers, the mavericks. These are the guys
who try to do more than they are expected to do-they always reach." Lee
How to Be a Great Manager
Briefings ideas that work
Management consultant Peter Stark suggests the following if you want
to make it to the top in management:
- Develop positive vision. See success before it arrives.
Example: Successful managers when visualizing themselves walking
across a high wire see themselves walking to the other side. Managers
who struggle usually have their focus on not falling off the rope.
- Think big. Look for ideas that will be contagious and excite people.
- Encourage others to do their best. Successful managers believe that
people do want to make a significant contribution. Coach, counsel and
develop people to live up to their potential.
- Set up and maintain high expectations for all who work with you. Mediocrity
does not generate a highly motivated work force.
- Overuse polite phrases. Unsuccessful managers donít seem to find the
time to say "please" and "thank you."
Source: The Managerís Advisor, Peter Barron Stark & Associates
Inc., 16935 W. Bernardo Drive, Ste. 104, San Diego, CA 92127